Friday, March 25, 2011

Clarrification on: Libya Intervention?

My last post discussed my stance on Libyan intervention by a coalition of NATO, the operation of which was just recently handed over to NATO. I would advise reading the extensive piece first, then reading this one as it clarifies my position based on my older post. 


Since I posted it important things have happened, namely, the coalition has handed control of the operations to NATO.


This mostly includes enforcement of the no-fly zone, however the coalition is looking at more creative uses. The joint military of the nations have begun to use their air-power to help strengthen rebel attacks against Qaddafi, recently capturing key cities. This move began after the full implementation of a no-fly zone was enforced. It was only begun after military leaders established that the Libyan air force can not function and the army severely restricted. For those worried that Libya is a precursor to a 2003 Iraq, David Gergen will allay your fears.


The switch to NATO has garnered the support of another Muslim country, and an influential one at that, Turkey. Although I support the coalition's intervention in Libya and support the operation as a whole, I find my support for NATO not as strong. I've always felt that NATO's purpose was to protect member nations and I feel that taking over this operation doesn't quite fit the mold anymore. I would have preferred that an international coalition continue to organize it instead of NATO, but what is done is done. 

Meanwhile, President Obama's plan seems to be going according to plan (though not completely). The U.S. has led the initial attacks to destroy Qaddafi's air defenses with the largest amount of missiles fired . France and England were the first to begin the airplane strikes and continue to be the most frequent bombers. The President's aim was to work with the international community and not against it, like in Iraq; to have limited U.S. role in something he (and I) believes the U.S. can not ignore. Soon enough, the United States will continue to draw back it's role in the intervention and allow the larger coalition to enforce the no-fly zone. He has called for the policy because he wants to stop the otherwise slaughter of the Libyans, but didn't want to make the U.S. seem as if it were invading another Muslim nation. That is why the coalition was so necessary and support by nations like Turkey and organizations like the Arab League is key. There is a method to what many consider madness.




With this said, if you want to read why I support the intervention in Libya, and what I want to see of U.S. foreign policy in the future, click here.

You can get all these page updates by "Liking" the Facebook blog page! here : http://on.fb.me/hWYYmi or by following me on Twitter! http://bit.ly/fIU3d7 Please Share on your network, email, comment or subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment