Friday, February 11, 2011

A Tip of My Hat to Egypt

Celebrations in Egypt
Since the beginning of these protests that started out in small numbers, I've been covering them as best I can. Sparked partly by leaks by Wikileaks, but mostly by the successful revolution of Tunisia, the long oppressed and economically restricted Egyptians have finally met the last criteria of a "Revolution:" Victory.

 Here is the list of my coverage:
From Tunisia starting it all:

Tunisia's Fiery Revolution and the Man Who Ignited It

And all my other Egypt posts (which are now my most popular on the blog):

Vive la Révolution! 

International Support 

Global Review: A People's Revolution

Analysis: Mubarak's Strategy

Some Progress....and Others Don't.

And Finally my anticipation for Mubarak's Resignation

The coverage has been extremely difficult since things changed so fast. At times, even a "daily" blog couldn't keep up with everything that was going on. I got a tv interview with a local Boston news station NECN. To See me go here.  I am the guy with the Blue and Black buttoned shirt. (Enjoy!). When I was finally able to get ahead and try predicting the future (Mubarak's resignation) I along with everyone else failed after he told everyone he would stay in office just yesterday. 

 Soon afterwards Protesters responded with angry shouting as they lifted up with shoes (a sign of disrespect in the Middle East).

 In response, Egyptians promised larger protests all over the country on Friday morning (and they did so). Massive protests continued and at 6 pm (Egypt time) the Vice President and former Torturer Omar Suleiman, announced that the President Hosni Mubarak has resigned and given authority to the Military Council. Reports were confirmed that Mubarak and his family worth 70 billion dollars have left Cairo to to go a resort near the Red Sea (but still in Egypt).

There is still a lot to discuss about Egypt's future and what actions will be taken, but for now, a tip of my hat to the Egyptian people. I was working when I watched the 20 second speech by the for Vice President Suleiman, and can't explain the goosebumps I felt when I realized that the Egyptians can officially call their movement a revolution. My feelings are no way equal to those of Egyptians around the world and especially those living in the country. Tonight, Egypt is having the world's largest celebration.

Celebrate well, because tomorrow work needs to be started. 

 

Please Share on your network, email, comment or subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment