Friday, April 15, 2011

My Journey: With or Without God


Since my junior year in high school almost 3 years ago I have been on a journey. It is one that many take; one of great emotional strain and and greater length. I haven't really articulated it to anyone until now, but the journey isn't uncommon. The personal journey will establish my worldview for the remainder of my life. Everyone must go through it, if they are to understand everything around them, or else be stuck in ignorant bliss. 


There are two worldviews that humans hold: the Divine View and the Scientific View (as I'll call them). Despite the insistence of some of the former and a fewer of the latter, the two are largely incompatible; I can not reasonably have both. As of this post, I am a Muslim-by-birth and I've grown to pray and live without violation  of the faith (for the most part). 


I draw a distinction between a Muslim-by-Conversion and a Muslim-by-Birth because the latter never chose. I was raised to do things (as we all are, Christians with going to Church, etc) and have done so believing what those around me believe, and what my parents taught me. Despite your anticipated rejection, you do the same: all your practices were learned such as your speech, walk, dress, faith and more.

I can't accept being a believer-by-birth because far too often I'm stuck when I ask myself  "Why am I not a Buddhist? Or Jew?" The only answer I conjure up is: "I was raised as a Muslim." But what if I was born into another family in another country with different circumstances? Wouldn't I be just as convinced in my faith in Buddha as I am now of God? Can I really hold the beliefs of anyone  else as wrong since they oppose my own religious convictions? Or are we all fools doing what others have taught us to do? This is where the journey begins. Where it leads will be interesting, but I have several criteria that are both reasonable and necessary as I take a deeper plunge: 

  1. I must learn more about my religion's specific beliefs before deciding which worldview I should take. 
    1. What is the Muslim belief of the creation of the Universe? How is it different from other faiths, etc.  
  2. No worldview I choose can contradict the most basic scientific understandings of the universe.
    1. For example: A rejection of the idea of plate tectonics also denies the science behind our ability to detect and track earthquakes (something no one disputes). If you accept one, you must accept the other.
  3. My choice can never be effected by what is most convenient.
    1. If I find the truth to be a belief in the divine, then so be it;
    2. If not, I will believe in the alternate regardless of how hard it will make my personal life.
    3. The Truth should never be rejected out of one's circumstances.
  4. I can not start the journey as a Muslim (or a person of any faith). It must be as objective as possible. In other words, I can not start with the belief in Islam (the conclusion) and reason my way to it (the logic). Basic thought processes tell us it must be the opposite: Follow the truth, and then make your conclusion. If the Divine View is the truth, the facts/logic will naturally lead me to it to reach my conclusion; if not, I will be left with the only other view. 
The criteria are based on things that must exist before I make a decision in order to be true to myself and not regret my decision later on.
From this journey there are several possible outcomes: 1. I choose science as my worldview exclusively and reject all faith (the basis of rejection of one faith, will be the basis of rejection for all other faiths) 2. I choose the Divine View as the reasonable conclusion and then decide which faith makes the most sense. 2a. I become a Muslim-by-conversion. 

 My current Divine View of the world is held because I was raised to believe it was truth, not because I chose to; this is the basis of the trip I'm taking. I, nor anyone else from any other faith, should not accept a belief in ANY political, religious, or social ideology without taking a thorough look at it first. There comes a point in everyone's life where the self-reflection can do a lot of good.

There are countless examples of this. Take defectors from the infamous Waco ranch in Texas during 1993. Although raised to believe different things like Korensh was the messiah, or in his interpretation of the Bible defectors reflected on their beliefs and lifestyles and chose another path, others reflected and chose to stay with him. For another example, think of early white supporters of the black civil rights movement. Although raised with a specific belief of societal, political, and religious superiority (every religion claims divine superiority) these men and women questioned how they were raised and fought against it. Self-reflection is key.

I hope you will join me and I hope I can provide assistance  to others who are also on the journey (from any faith). Feel free to provide your advice and input in the comments. Is there anything wrong with my criteria? Should I add anything? Take anything out?


You can get all these page updates by "Liking" the Facebook blog page! here : http://on.fb.me/hWYYmi or by following me on Twitter! http://bit.ly/fIU3d7 Please Share on your network, email, comment or subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment