Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Beatles


The Beatles is the greatest rock band on this planet,changing the course of rock music forever.They sold millions of albums and has appealed down to new generations of fans for over forty years.I started listening to the fab four since I was a little boy through my dad of course.Theres this infinite coolness the band possess that you just can't describe on how or why are you so crazy about their songs.Its just beautiful.The band started everything: recording techniques,wah wahs,distortions,hairstyle, anyone couldn't  ever imagine  in the sixties.The band started a revolution,they introduced modern rock music which remains a staple for budding rock bands today.

Bored with Elvis and other rockabillies,the young generation of America went ape for the Beatles and thus started the British Invasion of the United States.Other rock bands from Britain followed:The Rolling Stones,The Who,Cream,Led Zeppelin etcetera and the hallmark of modern rock music was sealed.Of course,America answered with our very own gems like the Beach Boys,the Doors,The Rascals and all,but obviously nobody ever topped the Beatles,who alone are on the mountaintop of fame.

The Beatles toured around the world selling millions and mesmerizing the crowd of Beatlemaniacs[too bad I wasn't even born yet when this all happened--lol!] and touring proved to be nonetheless boring but dangerous to several members of the band.

The 1966 World Tour proved to be the most chaotic and dangerous of all..in the wake of John Lennon's remark that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus spawned angry debates over religious groups particularly Christians though they slagged it off anyway,the band received numerous death threats specifically on America's deep south.But none could be more embarassing or should I say hateful than the band's disastrous tour of the Philippines on that same year. The Beatles unintentionally snubbed a dinner party Imelda Marcos had for them and being in a country where the president was gearing himself up to be a national dictator,those bureaucrats obviously won't take no for an answer and the band was harrassed and their entourage was beaten off at the Manila airport as they were on their way home.Anyway,George Harrison was saying in the Anthology book that even before the horrible dinner party scam took place things weren't good in Manila by the time they arrive there--citing these annoying figures at the airport who were so disrespectful and was in fact bullying them as they took off the plane. I'm of Filipino descent and I was born in the Philippines,and I resent the fact that my favorite band was treated badly in that country where I was born.But I wasn't around during that time--I wasn't born yet.And I feel sorry to those rude bullies who have maltreated them,I hope they rot in hell.I couldn't blame Paul for snubbing and walking off several Philippine press who went to his London office for an interview,what happened to them was traumatic..I myself wouldn't want to go back... after the way we were treated huh?! I was wondering,what happened to the world famous Filipino hospitality here?  It was all pretentious lies,a little clever clever...it was sad..


Adding insult to injury,the Beatles were insulted in a cable TV network called TFC on this show called Magandang Tanghali Bayan,where several asshole comedians made a laughing stock out of the band--I hated TFC ever since.They made the Philippines more hateful to the eyes of the fab four.I'm glad that show has long been gone..

Well,amid all the bad vibes,the Beatles all in all continued to mesmerize crowds and appeal to new generations of fans and they are the greatest,ruling Billboard and continued to have number one records even after the band broke up.

John Lennon,Paul McCartney,George Harrison and Ringo Starr weren't the first rock stars but they sure changed rock music forever.The way we listen,the style,attitude,long hair,hippiedom will pass down to generations who would want to have the same coolness and simply wanted to be happy--always.

I love the Beatles! Always and Forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment